Re: Programming..?

news:ds2hfg$2nqd$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> __/ [DervMan] on Saturday 04 February 2006 13:12 \__
>
>> I'd like to learn how to program basic applications for PalmOS, huge
>> topic
>> I'm sure.  In the dim and distant past I used to program a C=64 using its
>> BASIC, wow that was a long time ago - so I suppose a BASIC-like language
>> might be a good place to start.  Google turns up NSBasic, but before I
>> relearn BASIC, is there something else I should know...?
>
> BASIC is for Windows-only design/compilation (historically not, but
> presently
> one could argue it is so). People have asked in these newsgroups before if
> BASIC code can be compiled for Palm and each time the answer was no.

Right, ya - I didn't put it especially well (or there's always the
possibility I'm completely wrong *cough*).

It looks as though NSBasic uses a language similar to BASIC, but it compiles
the code and forms an application that is run on the device...

> For PalmOS, you would be better off practising C/C++.

*shudders*

That sounds like learning a real language... :)

That sounds like a real challenge.

> Get hold of the
> Software Development Kit (SDK) from Palm and start from the "Hello World"
> sample. Alternatively, take advantage of Open Source projects from Palm.

Rightio.

> Hack the code and/or learn from it. See, for example:
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/rfbackup/
>
> It is not as daunting as it may seem if you first manage to compile and
> run
> the code on a handheld.

So you'd recommend programming on the device?  Wahey now I can justify (!)
my spare devices...

> You can then detract from/strip the code to achieve
> what you want and learn as you go along.

Goodo.  Thanks for your input.

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com