Re: Wireless network cards - which is best for Gentoo?

  • Subject: Re: Wireless network cards - which is best for Gentoo?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 18:17:34 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.gentoo
__/ [Nicholas DePetrillo] on Sunday 05 February 2006 18:07 \__

> On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 18:10:21 +0100, Stig Mogensen wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Looks as if I'm in a situation, where I can make good use of a wireless
>> connection to my router.
>>
>> I've been searching for a good wireless card, that has a good Linux
>> record, but they seem hard to find, as his depends on the (relabelled)
>> chip used.
>>
>> There must be thousands and thousands of Gentoo'ers out there, running
>> wireless LANs.......which cards are you using?. And what software do you
>> use for the encryption?.
>>
>> BR
>>
>> Stig
>
> Check out:
> www.netgate.com
>
> Look at the Prism2.5 based 2511CD PLUS. The Prism chipset is fully
> supported in Linux (I use the HostAP drivers) and this particular card has
> 200mw of TX power. You can get it in a few styles, one with 2 external
> antenna ports or one with a built-in antenna. Works in all modes (monitor,
> master, managed) and is just a really nice card all around.
>
> I highly recommend it.

Have a look at:

* http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm

* http://ralink.rapla.net/

I can't help thinking about the following story:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/12/26/131258

Bluetooth compatibility list was even removed from the Web Archive recently

http://web.archive.org/web/20050310010832/http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/devices.html

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Free the mind, the source will follow"
  6:15pm  up 19 days 13:31,  11 users,  load average: 1.46, 0.92, 0.72