Re: Edubuntu root password HELP!!!

  • Subject: Re: Edubuntu root password HELP!!!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 09:03:29 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
__/ [Ignoramus19736] on Tuesday 07 February 2006 04:44 \__

> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 21:28:48 -0700, ray <ray@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 03:19:13 +0000, Ignoramus19736 wrote:
>>
>>> I just installed edubuntu. It did not ask me for root password, I
>>> think (but it asked me for a regular user account).
>>>
>>> How do I set the root password on this thing without knowing
>>> one. Thanks

>> As explained by others, ubuntu does not have a root password, it is
>> expected you will use sudo - when you activate a system app, it asks for
>> your password - sudoing the thing. I find that there are rarely times when
>> it is indeed useful to be able to log as root - if you're inclined to do
>> that try 'sudo passwd' - that will allow you to set the root password.
>>

> thanks... I am a little set in my ways after using unix for 12
> years... I changed the root password and I will su to root. I do not
> want my kid to sudo without supplying root pwd. How would I require
> supplying root password?

You might wish to create a second account for yourself .Look at the
/etc/sudoers file.  Ubuntu is set up so that users can run admin commands
via sudo.  When you look at the /etc/sudoers file you  might see the
defaults:

# /etc/sudoers
#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
#

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# Defaults

Defaults        !lecture,tty_tickets,!fqdn

# User privilege specification
root        ALL=(ALL) ALL

Add the line

igorasmus   ALL=(ALL) ALL

You could in principle use

%users  ALL=(ALL) ALL

But I guess this is not what you are after.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: sheep outnumber people in NZ
  9:00am  up 21 days  4:16,  11 users,  load average: 0.40, 0.44, 0.38