Re: Linux Desktops Get a Graphics Boost

__/ [Sinister Midget] on Tuesday 07 February 2006 18:20 \__

> http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3583191
>
>    The Linux desktop is about to get a 3-D makeover courtesy of Novell.
>
> Meantime, Winders is about to get (in the next 1-5 years) a *yawn* 2-D
> rerererelease courtesy of MICROS~1:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/features/default.mspx
>
>    Novell is contributing a new graphics subsystem called "Xgl" and the
>    associated "Compiz" compositing manager to the granddaddy of all
>    Linux and UNIX windowing infrastructures, X.org.
>
>    The move may well herald in a new era of graphics power for Linux
>    and according to Novell has already garnered the interest of the
>    principal graphics chips vendors, Intel, ATI and Nvidia.
>
>    Xgl enables *nix systems to fully take advantage of 3-D acceleration
>    hardware. Xgl according to Novell's description is the X server
>    architecture layered on top of OpenGL.
>
>    The new enhancements enable a long list of capabilities for Linux
>    that include improved 3-D capabilities and more fluid "fancy"
>    desktop animations and transitions.

3-D capabilities which involve revolving virtual desktops, wobbling menus,
shadows, translucencies and the like are already possible using X.org's
composite module/extension IIRC. I once needed to enable it manually, but
it's definitely there. KDE 3.3/3.4 has made that part of the desktop
environment already although it was experimental at the time.

OpenGL support (even out-of-the-box due to admirable hardware probing) has
been available as long as I have used Linux and far beyond that. I even
wrote 3-D OpenGL programs for Linux (see sig.).

Thus I consider the article a very deceiving one and almost an embarrassment
if put out of context to suggest Linux has just discovered 3-D rendering and
the notion of the polygon.

See the next generation of X:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=de_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fscr3.golem.de%2f%3fd%3d0504%2fx11%26a%3d37579

Also see:

http://gnomedesktop.org/node/2580

<quote>
"A preview of Novell Linux Desktop 10 (NLD10) was shown to an audience at the
Solutions Linux conference this week in Paris. We have a selection of videos
which display a variety of amazing effects through the use of XGL, including
transparency, wobbling windows, a 3D Cube for desktop switching, and a task
switcher which displays a preview of windows."
</quote>

Windows, by the way, has had a go with similar ideas. Micrso~1 intended to
have a pager and there was also an attempt at 3-D environments. As we all
know, what Longhorn drafts promised is not what Vista will deliver.

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog_Frames/sphere_win.jpg
     (Quite a nice screenshot)

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
  7:05am  up 22 days  2:21,  11 users,  load average: 0.61, 0.61, 0.67