Re: SEO, Meta, and Favicon (was: META KEYWORDS - GOOGLE)

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted:
> I wrote the meta bits over a year ago when I did not know they
> had become useless. I leave them as a sort of legacy, but I can
> assure you that certain sites pick them for statistics-gathering
> pusposes. The cost, however, is increased page size, which slows
> down fetching (not rendering) a wee bit. For sites that are not
> optimised for size, this might be acceptable.

:-) I know Google looks for the robots.txt file and thought the meta
name="robots" might get me by, but it appears that the robots.txt
file over-rides the <meta name="robots" > tag. I mistakenly left a
robots.txt file on a website with the following setting:
Disallow: /

And then looking at Google's robots.txt, I thought I'd put the
following line in:

Allow: *

When I validated the site's robots.txt, the validator indicated a
failure in validation where the Allow keyword didn't mean anything.

> Regarding animated icons... See instructions at:
> http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/12/05/animated-favicons/

Neat page. Thanks once again. Time to get some sleep.

Jim Carlock
Post replies to the group.