Re: Speculation: Apple to Buy Palm

__/ [Jeffrey Kaplan] on Friday 10 February 2006 02:56 \__

http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer-world/news/2149813/apple-bite-palm

>> > "Speculation that Apple plans to buy handheld maker Palm has been
>> > revived by a call from two leading Palm investors for the company to be
>> > put up for sale, according to the local paper of both companies."
>>
>> A little late.
>
> Why is it "a little late"?  The "handheld maker Palm" is the hardware
> company, briefly known as palmOne.  The people who make the devices
> themselves, not the OS.
>
> Unless you're referring to the recent release of the first
> WindowsMobile Palm device?

Thanks for the clarification, Jeffrey. This makes perfect sense.

I hope that, if true, Apple premium costs do not apply to Palm devices. I
also hope that lock-ins are not part of the deal and that existing Linux
conduits are never broken. It is about time Palm themeselves catered for
Linux, probably in the form of a compilable version of Palm Desktop. I am
losing my patience, not for that reason alone.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: A dragonfly only lives for one day
  7:45am  up 24 days  3:01,  10 users,  load average: 0.66, 0.75, 0.82