Re: How Microsoft Sabotages Linux Adoption

__/ [Bruce Scott TOK] on Friday 10 February 2006 12:28 \__

> [...]
>>"Two themes dominate the stories I hear about the tribulations of using and
>>adopting non-Microsoft business desktops: the difficulty in finding
>>compatible hardware and the stranglehold Microsoft Word has on users. In
>>the last week, IT pros have shared their experiences with these two
>>adoption inhibitors. They're representative of other stories I've heard."
>
> Not only that, but also the demand of public service agencies (be they
> government departments, or some research agency you submit proposals to)
> that transmissions be electronic and in word format.  Even when
> web-based thingies would be easier (filling out forms and the like).

Many bodies are actually drifting /towards/ Web-based interfaces. They
realise it entails many, many advantages over WYSIWYG of PDF, which can be
automatically-generated from the raw product (may it be a Web form of TeX).

I have noticed that the IEEE and many other engineering-related bodies
provide Word templates for paper submission nowadays. They have not forsaken
LaTeX, of course, whose output looks far more professional and compilation
process is more sophisticated (thereby it saves the author plenty of time).
As regards submission in Word format, thank goodness for AbiWord, KOffice,
OpenOffice, and StarOffice. Much of that ignorance in the non-IT world is no
longer a peril.

Best wishes,