Re: Palm on Linux (was: VICTORY FOR LINUX!)

  • Subject: Re: Palm on Linux (was: VICTORY FOR LINUX!)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 14:40:09 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [Ray Ingles] on Friday 10 February 2006 13:45 \__

> On 2006-02-10, Sig Sauer <sig@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Of course he had some basic requirements, one of which is Palm
>> sync capabilities. :-)
>
>  ":-)" indeed. Linux works better with Palms than Palm's own software in
> my experience. Pilot-link rocks!

I'll second that. KPilot, being a front-end, is another separate issue, which
proves a bit tricky at times. gpilot on Ubuntu was not any better either,
but I could still get all my data backed up reliably and very, very rapidly.
I achieved connectivity in both Ubuntu and SuSE straight 'out of the box'.
To my suprise, I was /not/ ending up with annoying error/warning prompts
that cannot be suppressed or their disappearance timeout extended -- a
reference to Palm Desktop where this behaviour cannot be latered as it is
/not/ Open Source. I ditched Palm Desktop after 3+ years of use and this
saved me plenty of time. I can't say "and hassle" unfortunately, so learn
from my mistakes and follow the links to the HOWTO.

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/10/31/kpilot-vs-jpilot/

Best wishes,