Re: Multiposting and Crossposting

  • Subject: Re: Multiposting and Crossposting
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 13:55:27 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [Dude] on Sunday 12 February 2006 13:44 \__

>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> Please learn how to post in more an ethical manner, which helps you get
>> better replies and avoids inconveniencing others. Relevant URL's:
>>
>> Common Mistakes in Usenet Postings and How to Avoid Them
>> http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/mail-news-errors.html#quoting
>>
>> Crosspost, don't multipost
>> http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm#xpost
>>
>> Hope it helps,
>>
>> Roy
>
> 1st Thanks for your reply to this in one of my other posts. I still
> didnt quite understand what you were suggesting because Im a noob when
> it comes to making a website.

Follow-up to that post and I will gladly elaborate. *smile*

> 2nd I multi posted becuase it seemed relevant to each NG and I have
> posted before in other NG's that I never received a response back so i
> didnt want to wait a week and still not have the answer to my question.

I understand. Your chances of getting a reply will improve if you migrate
away from Google Groups and choose to crosspost rather than multipost.
Having a spellchecker to abstain from typos adds to credibility too.

> 3rd ethical?? I was unethical in my post?? sorry just a bit confused on

I should have said "netethical", not "ethical". That stuff which falls under
the posting habits heading is often referred to as "Netiquette".

> that one.
> 4th I'm using Google for this not Outlook or Otlook Epress or
> Thunderbird which I should change to at some point but I think I have
> close to 50 NG's saved here so it's just more convenient like this.

I understand. In case you want to increase the likelihood of being replied
to, have a look at the following:

http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/

<quote>
  The new Google interface to Usenet newsgroups encourages a posting
  style appropriate to a web forum, not Usenet. By default, the
</quote>

Some people killfile everything that comes from Google Groups, usually for
that particular reason.

> Thanks and sorry to offend you,
> Chris

No, no offence at all. It just tends to appear that way when no facial
impressions are involved. *smile*

Best wishes,