Re: Linux TCO Lower than Windows TCO

__/ [George Ellison] on Wednesday 15 February 2006 13:07 \__

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> http://www.levanta.com/linuxstudy/
>>
>> EMA Study: Get the Truth on Linux Management
>>
>> "In various older studies, Microsoft and some analysts claimed Linux has a
>> higher total cost of ownership (TCO) than Windows...
>>
>> ...However, in a new study of over 200 Linux enterprises, Enterprise
>> Management Associates (EMA) found that this perception is no longer
>> accurate. Sophisticated management tools now allow Linux management to be
>> fast, effective, and inexpensive. With far lower acquisition costs, Linux
>> is now a cost-effective alternative to Windows."
>>
>> 21-page PDF therein.
>
> In other late-breaking news, despite a detailed report from the Gartner
> group to the contrary, NASA experiments show the sun is actually brighter
> than the moon.

*smile*

It's nothing new, I agree. IBM conducted similar studies and, if I recall
correctly, Linux TCO was ~40% lower than that of Windows. Having said that,
when falsifying figures from the Get The Crap Campaign, one could use
/several/ impartial studies which conflict with Microsoft's findings.

Roy S. Schestowitz
  1:55pm  up 29 days  8:56,  12 users,  load average: 1.25, 0.81, 0.62