Re: [Article] On Google's Censorship in China

__/ [Paul B] on Monday 20 February 2006 13:05 \__

> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:51:56 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>__/ [Windsun] on Monday 20 February 2006 11:20 \__
>>
>>> Actually it is kind of funny.. read a story a couple of days ago how the
>>> Chinese government is trying to hire 30,000 more to track down "illegal"
>>> websites.
>>>
>>> I wonder how far they can go, and how long before it implodes.
>>>
>>> Regardless of what you think of Google, once the door is open, the
>>> commies will powerless to stop it.

>>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>>I used to make available an open proxy on my Web server. The Chinese
>>government prevented access to the WordPress Codex at the time. It is a
>>harmless section which explains how to customise blogs and do some PHP
>>programming. The Canadians (I think Toronto somewhere) have recently set up
>>a large number of proxies (or equivalent) to enable people from suppressed
>>contries access to the full resources of information which the WWW makes
>>available. You must admit that Average Li (sic) might still find it hard to
>>get access to uncensored information, even when the facilities are
>>available.
>>
>>Roy
>
> This may help a few on the other side of the wall.
> http://www.peacefire.org/
> plh
> Paul

Since /Web/ access might not 'sign the deal'...

Remote connections and data transfers:

   http://www.putty.nl/download.html
   http://www.openpgp.org/

E-mail and beyond:

   http://www.pgpi.org/

I am informed that encryption is actually illegal in some countries. Privacy
is against the law.

- --
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    YaSTall SuSE to figure out the magic
  1:55pm  up 3 days  2:14,  7 users,  load average: 0.89, 0.43, 0.19