Re: Linux Certifications Become More Popular

__/ [rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx] on Tuesday 21 February 2006 06:20 \__

> Linux Certifications are a good way of assuring minimum competency,
> especially in a ralatively young candidate, or one with little or no
> professional experience with Linux.
>
> Most certification tests cover the most common issues, including
> hardware configuration, system installation, network and firewall
> configuration, user configuration, and core application configuration.
> More importantly, certifications also cover the terms of some of the
> critical licenses, specifally GPL and LGPL, and also some of the legal
> issues related to privacy and the use of personal information that
> might be stored on a Linux machine or Linux shared drive.
>
> There are a few "trick questions" - especially for some of the brand
> specific certification tests, which often require a second or third
> attempt.
>
> If you don't have any credentials OTHER than an MCSE or an RHCE, and
> you are completely self-trained or took a "cram course" for 6 weeks,
> it's still a pretty big gamble.  I feel sorry for really talented kids
> who spend almost taking a "cram course" for an MSCE as they would have
> spent on tuition for a 4 year in-state college degree in Computer
> Science or Engineering.
>
> More and more, however, people who have been working as "box booters"
> are find ing that they need to upgrade their skills, they need to be
> able to program in Java, and support Linux and do some shell scripting
> as well.  Windows 2003 is also much more reliable than it's
> predecessors, and therefore about 1/3 of the "box booters" need to be
> reassigned to something more productive - like programming, web page
> layout, or Linux programming/administration.

This leads me to pointing something out. Tab keeps bothering me about
frequent postings to COLA, which he believes come at the expense of actual
work. Since I don't reply directly to Tab, somebody could inform his that
all work is being handled reliably by Linux servers that require little or
no attention. Cron jobs that were set up are complex enough as to assimilate
to repeatable job that otherwise involve GUI knobs...

> For those people, a Linux certification is a really good thing.  They
> need to be able to demonstrate that they can be trusted with the power
> and capabilities of a Linux server.

Front ends and administration tools like cPanel are a true curse, not a
blessing. Linux becomes more boring than ever before. We approach the day
when computers and servers are self-maintaining and self-sustaining. Even
Linux servers 'know' when to reboot -- something which might occur a couple
of times per year. "Box booter" becomes merely a program, or a process. And
yet, Microsoft question Linux TCO.