Re: Revenue Service Nearing Linux Migration

> http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=882
>
>  "The South African Revenue Service (SARS) issued a tender (RFT
> 37/2005)
>  for a proof of concept Linux desktop solution for the tax-collecting
>  government department on 17 February. While SARS admits that the
>  challenge of moving to Linux on the desktop is great, a successful
>  proof of concept could see 14 000 desktops running Microsoft Windows
>  XP SP2 migrated to Linux."
>
> Linux among governmental bodies is always exceptionally encouraging
> news.

Kind of a limp effort by the SARS here, roy.  They are not paying
anything for the set-up and not saying that they will ever switch.  It
looks like some linux vendor will have to step up to the plate with a
freebie demo system and a lot of educational effort to vie for the
opportunity to sell their conversion services to SARS.  It would be
interesting to see if anyone were to even bid on this gem.  How's your
schedule?

On the same issue, how's the gang in Munich making out?  Last I heard,
they couldn't get any of the departments in the city government to
volunteer to be the guinea pig for this effort.  The latest plan was to
put Open Office on a couple of Windows machines and see if anyone would
salute.  Munich supposedly committed some big bucks to a conversion
process, but that was a couple of years ago and still nothing has
resulted.

There certainly seems to be enough linux horseshit being spread about,
but no one seems to be able to point to a pony.