Re: Linux Demand at Record Levels

  • Subject: Re: Linux Demand at Record Levels
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 04:09:05 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Linønut ] on Thursday 23 February 2006 03:11 \__

http://news.com.com/Windows+bumps+Unix+as+top+server+OS/2100-1016_3-6041804.html

> That article neglects to highlight a couple of things:
>
>    UNIX has been "dying" for years
>
>    The cost of the hardware is mixed up with the cost of Windows
>
>    Linux is getting sales Windows would have had

Exactly! I posted the CNET article earlier that day (CNET are often first)
while pointing out the missing analysis. Subsequent articles could actually
see through the crude number and point out that the /only/ platform with
momentum is Linux.

> Windows sales are growing at a single-digit rate.  UNIX sales are
> declining at (what?) rate.  It is inevitable that the curves intersect.
> Linux sales are growing at a double-digit.

Saying that UNIX lost its place at the top is a form of FUD. It's an attempt
to topple *nix. Think of Linux as an old(er) version of Linux. You don't see
Windows fragmented into versions in these figures, do you?

> Still, 10 years ain't too bad for the "UNIX killer" to put a good dent
> in UNIX sales.  Hasn't killed it yet though, especially if you want to
> consider Linux at UNIX for the purpose of this metaphor.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Nothing to see in this sig, please move along"
  4:00am  up 5 days 16:19,  8 users,  load average: 0.58, 0.74, 0.84