Re: PHP Include script fails during traffic spikes

  • Subject: Re: PHP Include script fails during traffic spikes
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:29:02 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [ igotnotime@xxxxxxxxx ] on Sunday 26 February 2006 15:01 \__

> We are having major issues with our Include scripts, but only through
> traffic spikes. We initially thought it was Include directory related,
> we played with that for several days and finally got the proper
> directory set. During a 3-4 hour daily high traffic spike our Include
> no longer works. We get an error that reads:
>
> Unable to open template
> http://www.thecalleddomain.com/xmlsrv/rss.php?blog=23&cat=46, exiting

Perhaps needless to mention, 1/7 to 1/6 uptime is rather disappointing. It
should be rectified to avoid dissatisfaction -- from Webmasters and visitors
alike. I don't know the nature of the sites though.

One possibility is to distribute the domains across more Web servers, as
expensive as that may be. Sites need room to grow and you must also be
prepared for spikes rather than give up and bring down 'sibling' sites too.
Links in Slashdot and Digg, for instance, can lead to demand of gigabytes
per hour.

__/ [ David Cary Hart ] on Sunday 26 February 2006 15:56 \__

> On 26 Feb 2006 07:01:24 -0800
> "igotnotime@xxxxxxxxx" <igotnotime@xxxxxxxxx> opined:
>> We are having major issues with our Include scripts, but only through
>> traffic spikes. We initially thought it was Include directory related,
>> we played with that for several days and finally got the proper
>> directory set. During a 3-4 hour daily high traffic spike our Include
>> no longer works. We get an error that reads:
>>
> Try caching with something like eAccelerator (which is what we use).
> Really speeds up things like squirrel or phpBB.

In WordPress, memchace which is an Open Source and GPL'd PHP implementation,
is getting used to speed things up tremendously.

http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2005-November/003122.html

As always, this depends on the nature of your content. If similar content is
delivered to many visitors, then it's worth investing in the incorporation
of cache on server memory (as opposed to disk cache) It speeds thing out if
your front page, for example, is largely immutable and only needs refreshing
once in a thousand visits.