Re: suse 9.3, gimp printing, HPLIP

__/ [ Rick ] on Sunday 26 February 2006 18:19 \__

> On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:52:43 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Rick ] on Sunday 26 February 2006 17:39 \__
>>
>>> <snip />
>>>
>>> When I try to print from GIMP, it does not print the graphic, it prints
>>> text (%!PS-Adobe %%Creator: Print plug-in V4.2 for Gimp-Print 4.2.7
>>> ...).
>>>
>>> < snip />
>>>
>> It seems likely that a certain plug-ins clings onto your GIMP
>> installation. This plug-ins appears to attempt sending of PostScript to
>> the printer as means of saving precious bandwidth. This is not what you
>> are after because no vector graphics are involved. I suggest you have a
>> look at the plug-in in question and attempt to uninstall it. Otherwise,
>
> How do I know which plugin to uninstall?

Look under the menu "Xtns", which I notice exists in both GIMP 1.x and 2.x.
There are 4 entries at the top, which help you discover and explore what has
been bound to the GIMP. Frankly, I suggest you try the SuSE 9.2 RPM (URL
below) and see what happens.

The other possibility is to save your images in the GIMP, then open and print
them in a peripheral application that is not an editor. Gwenview and
Konqueror should come as part of SuSE 9.3's core. I'm not sure about Pixie,
but you could surely even print images from Firefox. It's not truly a pain
if you save the current image (edited in the GIMP) on your Desktop, then
dragging its icon to the Firefox main window and pressing <Ctrl>+P.

>> consider uninstalling and re-installing the GIMP so that it runs without
>> any plug-ins which have been bound to the SuSE distribution.
>>
>> http://gimp.org/unix/
>>
>> Hope it provides some useful information despite my lack of confidence
>> about this...
>>
> Thanks.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Ping this IP, see if it collapses" --Windows TCP
  6:50pm  up 9 days  7:09,  15 users,  load average: 0.51, 0.66, 0.63