Re: Linux Adoption Barriers

news:dtvcbv$265c$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1169030,00.html
>
> Breaking down barriers to Linux desktop adoption
>
> "People reject Linux desktops for illogical reasons, says IT
> consultant and
> developer Jono Bacon. For example, they fault Linux OpenOffice
> desktops for
> not having all the features in Microsoft Windows Office, even though
> few
> actually use all of the Microsoft stuff. So, in essence, they're
> saying they
> want desktops cluttered with unnecessary features."

No at all.  People are just being polite and giving the surveyor
something to write down that is more acceptable that "Who gives a damn?
Go away, boy, you bother me!".  Even the author of the piece knows this:

"What do you think prevents people from switching?
Bacon: One of the biggest things is lethargy. I consider myself a
semi-technical person. So moving between software platforms doesn't mean
anything to me.

But if, for example, I have to switch between insurance or phone plans,
I just don't want to do it because I don't want to learn about it. I
don't want to learn about what's different. Therefore, I'm resistant to
change even if it might save me some money each month. Unless I can see
a big, perceived win that attracts me, I'm not going to change my
current system for something else that doesn't really give me a
straight-up benefit.

I also think some people, particularly in business, are skeptical of
open source because it is community-based and it's free.

The toughest thing is change. Microsoft carved out a culture. To its
credit, the company commoditized computers. There's no easy way around
that without education and giving someone that significant win."