Re: Title attribute in link

__/ [ John ] on Monday 27 February 2006 19:12 \__

> Hi,
>
> I have a title attribute in my links (css navbar for articles) and I was
> wondering what everyone thought about it from an SEO perspective.
>
> ex.
> <a title="Planning Affordable Wedding Receptions - Tips on how to Plan
> Affordable Wedding Receptions, including information on Location,
> Decorations, Food, Drinks and the Wedding Cake.."
> href="../wed-info/wedding-receptions.htm">
>         Wedding Receptions</a></li>
>
> http://www.your-new-jersey-wedding.com/index.htm
> (top left navbar)

...You of course realise that tooltip balloons are often the intent of such
texts, as well as the ability to help the disabled reader. What would be the
benefit of such keyword stuffing? Does it truly help human readers? Does it
only devour bandwidth? Surely it can have a positive impact on the page
being pointed at, although not an impact that is comparable with the anchor
text, namely "Wedding Receptions".

This technique of yours reminds me of alt tag misuse, which verges being spam
(a loose use of the term). If you think about the purpose of the mandatory
alt tag, you soon realise (much as in the case above) that, under certain
conditions (devices, reader type), it is equally distracting as hidden text
in the page. Always ask yourself if the human visitor benefits. If not, be
alert.

> I try to keep the value of the title attribute the same as the page
> description of the page it links to.

I tend to do that too (I use nicetitled.css for enhanced popups), but I
abbreviate when it exceeds about 7 words.

> Thanks,
> John

I hope my tone was not misinterpreted in the above answers. *smile*

Best wishes and good luck,

Roy

PS - Try to make the description in title="" somewhat different from the
targetted page. This could saturate its keywords and lead to breadth rather
than focus.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Spam enchanted evening..."
  7:10pm  up  15:21,  11 users,  load average: 0.35, 0.53, 0.47