Re: Another round of MS idiocy

__/ [Kelsey Bjarnason] on Monday 02 January 2006 09:06 \__

> Updated Windows the other day.  Got all the assorted requisite things,
> plus WMP 9.0.  Happy happy joy joy.
>
> Everything claims to have installed correctly.  WMP says it installed
> successfully.  WMP, however, won't play media; it spews an error on any
> attempt to use it.

Service Pack II had similar forms of impact on networking and various
components that are associated with the network. In most circumstances, I
advised to wipe and re-install. [sarcasm] marvellously, this resolves the
problem. That's often the only solution when an operating system is not
modular. You cannot mend the morbid chunks. If Linux is like Lego, Windows
is like Play-Doh.

> Fine, marvellous.  Dropped a note to the tech boys at MS.  Who now want
> $99 US to fix the problem.
>
> Emailed 'em back.  Said look, *your* update pooched it, *you* fix it. If
> you think I'm forking over $99 so you can fix your own screwups, you can
> forget it - I'll go buy SuSe instead.
>
> We'll see. :)

We'll SuSee.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "On the eighth day, God created UNIX"
  9:10am  up 22 days 16:21,  14 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.16, 0.12