Re: protecting copyright images in firefox

  • Subject: Re: protecting copyright images in firefox
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 09:04:12 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
__/ [carolyn] on Sunday 01 January 2006 04:54 \__

> scully wrote:
>
>> hi all
>> I have a tag that i use to stop users stealing images from a sight
>> that uses java script tag as per following:
>> I notice the script is a little different for explorer and netscape
>> what would i use for the browsers firefox & opera
>> thanks
>> scul
>
> Scul,
>
> Just to be repetitious, if you don't want it stolen, don't put it on the
> net.  The scripts may make it more difficult, but the don't make it
> impossible.

This can definitely reduce the amount of stealing nonetheless. It deters the
mediocre user from stealing.

> If I want a photo from the net, first I read the copyright statement.  If
> it is 'ok' to copy, but I can't right click, then I can either simply flip
> into the html source, find the url for the photo, and load it directly,
> bypassing the web page and any scripts in it.  Alternatively, I can just do
> a screen grab, load the resultant image into a graphic editor and crop out
> the parts I don't want.

It's even simpler with platforms that are not Windows.

> But if you insist on writing scripts, better include a script for konqueror
> while you are at it, Galleon might also be an idea.  I am sure there are a
> few more browsers out there that may need their own custom scripts built
> for them.

Several browser will not obey this functionality either. They should not if
they remain user-centric.

> Long and the short of it is, to stop me from 'stealing' your photos, tell
> me
> not to.  None of the scripts you write, will stop me - only your request
> not to will.
>
> Carolyn

Hypothetically: Consider watermarking the image. Then, if you have the
computer resources of the large search engines, crawl the entire World Wide
Web, download all the images and then apply pattern recognition algorithms
to identify your watermark in the images.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Y |-(1^2)|^(1/2)+1 K
  8:55am  up 21 days 16:06,  14 users,  load average: 0.52, 0.73, 0.87