Re: Update: Zero-Day Windows Exploit's Scope Broadens

  • Subject: Re: Update: Zero-Day Windows Exploit's Scope Broadens
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 07:45:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [Colin Day] on Sunday 01 January 2006 07:26 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [Robert Newson] on Saturday 31 December 2005 19:59 \__

>>>Shouldn't MS be held accountable to Aiding and Abetting him in his
>>>misdemeanor be distributing the software with the 20,000 computers with
>>>the
>>>ability to be remotely controlled by him?  Especially seeing as they knew
>>>about virus problems and exploits used by them back in the MSDOS days.
>>

>> I once initiated a thread about this in uk.legal. Most people said that a
>> case could not be made.
>>
>> You could blame the ISP for harbouring infected machines and an attacker
>> that uses them as puppets. You could also be bitter about search engines
>> that often motivate such attacks. As for Microsoft, their licences
>> probably defend them somehow. No doubt their products are destroying
>> cyberspace.
>>

> Then can one blame users for agreeing to the EULA?
>
> <snip>
>
> Colin Day     aa #1500

No, but just turn the tables upside-down (
http://www.fsffrance.org/news/article2005-11-25.en.html ) and ban Windows
from the shops. Argue that it is not secure, it encourages floods of network
junk (including DDOS attacks), and proliferates secret formats that serve a
monopoly and discriminate many.