Re: Google PC At Walmart

__/ [The Ghost In The Machine] on Tuesday 03 January 2006 18:00 \__

>> I'm just guessing it's a Linux distro with Java Desktop on it.
>> Google have a pact with Sun.
>>
>> A certain manager must be getting very sweaty.
>
> Google Linux?  An interesting concept.  I'm not sure we really
> need another distro but then again, who am I to say? :-)
>
> Let's see how well they do.  To paraphrase a certain public
> figure:  Bring 'em in!

My fears stem from the fact that Google haven't a good past when it comes to
Open Source (unless /using/ it counts). Also, interoperability has been an
issue, let alone discrimination that favours Windows users:

Google Desktop
Google Earth
Google Picasa
Google Talk
Google Toolbar (until recently)
Google Send-to-Phone
Google Web Accelerator
Google Video Viewer
Google Deskbar

I, for one, welcome their invasion. Google hardware can eradicate the need to
cater for a (formerly) widespread platform. They will have to be kind to
their origins too.