Re: Webalizer's Handlign of Feeds

> __/ [John Bokma] on Thursday 05 January 2006 07:17 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> I sometimes use a fairly recent version of Webalizer (now that I
>>> check, it *is* the most recent version) to analyse logs. I suspect
>>> that visit counts in Webalizer differ widely from the figures
>>> reported by AWStats due to handling of requests for feeds. Has
>>> anybody noticed the same behaviour? It's as though the definition of
>>> a "visit", let alone detection of crawlers, makes the term very
>>> subjective. What is it that people consider a visit if one tool
>>> reports numbers twice as big as the other's.
>>
>> AFAIK you can configure what webalizer considers a visit. IIRC it is
>> "the IP address has to be unique for x minutes". (And IIRC x = 15,
>> default)
>
> I don't think I can tune it.

Yes you can.

> Only administrators can,

AFAIK, on my site I can override the configuration settings by putting a
config file somewhere.

> unless I am
> totally wrong to assume complexity. I never saw a Webalizer back-end
> even though I have used it since 2001. It used to be the only thing I
> thought existed.
>
> If so, that still doesn't make "visits" any measure which is
> objective.

true, you can't change that fact. However, you can make the output of two
different programs a bit closer, if they both use a similar kind of
measurement for a visitor that is.

> I guess that statistics should either come with some fine
> prints or taken with a grain of salt.

As always :-D.

--
John                       Perl SEO tools: http://johnbokma.com/perl/