Re: How does age of domain name count in search engine ranking ?

  • Subject: Re: How does age of domain name count in search engine ranking ?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 07:51:21 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [catherine yronwode] on Friday 06 January 2006 05:59 \__

> Al Dykes wrote:
>>
>> Does the number of years a domain name has been registered count
>> in nay way in the ranking calculations ?

New sites are said to benefit from an initial boost, but it is not measured
in years.

> I think so, and several others here have voiced the same opinion and
> possibly even tested the hypothesis.

Google filed a patent that included analysis of registrar and domain
expiration. Whether they do anything with this controvertial discriminant
remains an unknown.

> The longevity of a site is a measure of its stability, and as google
> increasingly serves commercial / shopping information to consumers, the
> stability of a business site has real value to the demographic using the
> google service: stable online shops are less likely to be rip-offs or to
> engage in dishonest business practices.

And conversely, spam content sites are registered em masse, for short periods
of time, and they vanish more quickly because there is little incentive in
maintaining them.

>> If yes, how does the system doing the ranking know or care if the
>> domain name is moved from one registrar to another?
>
> There is no evidence that registration checks are made. They could be
> made, of course, but doing so would occupy valuble data storage space.
> How? Just download the domain registry information and store it, then
> perform periodic checks for changes -- like any knd of stored data
> search. If google doesn;t do t, they may want to at some time in the
> future. But i susect it would have a low benefit-tocost ratio.

I concur with Cat. I can't see why change of registrar should indicate
something negative. Changes of a Web host likewise. A site often switches
locations and swaps 'affiliation' due to growth, which is a positive sign. A
recent example is wordpress.org. Being banned from a host is another matter,
which is possibly overwhelmed by the positive. You can check for the
'quality' of hosts and registrar based on their willingness to embrace or
harbour questionable sites. 'Bad neighbourhood' among hosts is almost
definitely frowned upon.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 21978 x 4 = 21978 backwards
  7:40am  up 26 days 14:51,  12 users,  load average: 0.46, 0.48, 0.52