Re: I Know Zilch About Computers. Which Is Why I Use Linux

  • Subject: Re: I Know Zilch About Computers. Which Is Why I Use Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 04:28:15 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [Borked Pseudo Mailed] on Friday 06 January 2006 20:10 \__

> The conventional 'wisdom' is just the opposite: that linux is
> difficult for a novice to set up and use, so beginners need
> to run Windows.
>
> Maybe that was true a few years ago, but with distros like
> Mepis, it's not true any longer.
>
> The fact is, that windows is a pita to use because:
>
> ****The patches are constant and endless.
>
> ****Finding and Installing programs.
> linux comes with a large database containing a list of
> programs that are free. You only need to click on the program's
> name to download it and       install it.
> In contrast, you have to go to someplace like
> download.com and search, and find a free program, if you can.
> Then download it and go to the folder where you put it and run
> the install.
>
> ****Windows programs are bloatware.
> This has been said often enough
> and is true. If you are a home or soho user, you will almost
> never need a bloated windows program to do what you need,
> whether it is for graphics work, or word processing, or some
> other personal or office task.

On top of that, there are the important virus protection and cleansing
'skills'. Those who cannot do it will pay somebody else to have it done.
Nothing is mentioned regarding stability either. What happens when the user
cannot boot the operating system? Or needs to recover data due to a program
crash or an O/S crash?

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> apt-get -not windows
  4:25am  up 27 days 11:36,  14 users,  load average: 0.38, 0.69, 0.59