Re: Recommend a reliable PDA (PalmOS)?

<posted & mailed>

__/ [Russell E. Owen] on Wednesday 04 January 2006 23:20 \__

> My Tungsten E died after about 2 years and far too many glitches
> (digitizer failed under warranty, speaker was flaky on both units).
>
> Does anyone make a simple, reliable PalmOS PDA anymore? I don't want any
> fancy features (such as wireless), just a reliable organizer.
>
> I'm considering the TX plus an extended warranty. That's more than I
> want to spend (and more featuers), but I figure I should at least get 2
> years out of it (minus whatever time it spends in the shop).
>
> The E2 is attractive but I've seen a lot of complaints about
> reliability. I'd give up the nice screen and go with a zire, but the
> reports on those are even worse.
>
> I've even thought about abandoning the Palm platform, but the apps on
> the windows-based PDAs apps sound pretty awful and I don't know if there
> are any alternatives. (Besides; I'd hate to give up DateBk5.)
>
> Does anyone else make PalmOS organizers anymore?
>
> -- Russell

2 years sounds like a normal lifetime for a Palm handheld based on personal
not-so-thorough experience. I suggest that you opt for affordable units and
upgrade every now and then when defects and inconveniences are too much to
bear.

I bought my second PDA from eBay. It was inexpensive as it was not modern and
did not have functions which I have no use for. It only had a *few*
functions that I don't care for. It was a brand new Tungsten T. Before that
I had an M130 which was low-end and given to me by a relative.

I am very satisfied with Palm in general because I never lose any data. have
you? PIM is highly reliable and very usable. You only come to realise it
when something else gets used. If you don't require Wi-Fi, then I suggest
you consider a brand new out-of-date model from on-line auctions or even
settle for a Sony unit which is second-hand. Many people are hunting these
units down nowadays.

Roy

PS - One last thing: no phone lasts for many years and neither does a PDA
from another brand or vendor. The neighbour's lawn often seems greener
though and people will tell you what they want to believe about their
favourite and current supplier.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
  5:20am  up 27 days 12:31,  14 users,  load average: 0.59, 0.30, 0.27