Re: How does age of domain name count in search engine ranking ?

__/ [Al Dykes] on Monday 09 January 2006 16:54 \__

> In article <dpu19i$fts$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> Roy Schestowitz  <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>__/ [catherine yronwode] on Monday 09 January 2006 07:46 \__
>>

> [snip]
>

>>Google are criticised for being guilty on both counts, but it balances out.
>>
>>1: Google give little or no attention to new companies (arguable), which is
>>hypocritical. Google were a little company in a garage just 8 years ago.
>>Meanwhile, giants like IBM and Microsoft were the ones people went Ga-Ga
>>after.
>>
>>2: Google give too much attention to small blogs rather than mainstream
>>media. I repsect Google for that personally. The BBC whine the most about
>>blogs, I think.
>>

> Does #2 that apply to Google News?

Yes, have you seen the amount of promotional junk and spam that Google News
accept? I see Yahoo perform better in that discipline day by day. In fact,
Yahoo have always been rather news-savvy.

I wrote about this observation not so long ago:
http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/11/25/syndicate-news/

It was too obvious to ignore. You should have seen some of the stuff that
somehow snuck into Google News. They must have better moderation and
screening in place.

Roy

PS - If there is any general personal bias, it is in favour of Google. I like
Google, but Yahoo News deserve recognition here.