Re: [News] Schneier: Compulsory WGA Could Help Linux

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 01:41:10 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>This is not said explicitly, but:
>
>Microsoft Windows Kill Switch
>
>,----[ Quote ]
>| The stupidity of this idea is amazing. Not just the inevitability of
>| false positives, but the potential for a hacker to co-opt the controls.
>| I hope this rumor ends up not being true.
>|
>| Although if they actually do it, the backlash could do more for
>| non-Windows OSs than anything those OSs could do for themselves.
>`----

That last sentence says a lot about Linux.

The success or failure of Linux will not be decided by it's merit
but by the success or failure of an opposing company.

Linux has never been first choice but an alternative.
If it's success depends on the failure of it's competition
how long will it take before someone comes up with
another better choice leaving Linux behind again?

A win by attition does not make a clear winner but
removes the real winner from the equation. This leaves
the opposing force with no clear target upon which
to focus and in most cases in a state of confusion.

As with most new voids in nature, they are quickly filled
with new persons, products, targets, ....etc.  Linux
will never move into the vacancy left by a vanishing
Microsoft. There are too many different Linux distros
posturing for the best of breed championship. This
internal squabble will consume any attempt by Linux
to become first place winner.

Wherever Linux may be at the time of Microsoft's demise
is where they will stay and whatever moves into the
top slot will become the new Linux target.