Re: Linux cuts Kent Police system costs by 90%

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Tuesday 04 July 2006 17:39 \__

> Quote:
> -----------
> Kent Police has cut the cost of running its major criminal
> investigations system by 90% using Novell Open Enterprise Server, the
> company's version of SuSE Linux....
>
> Kent Police IT director Andy Barker said, "We had come to the
> replacement time for Holmes II [their computer system]. We got a quote
> from our existing supplier and a quote from Dell. The Dell quote was
> one-tenth of the cost of the other."
>
> The force moved Holmes II from legacy non-Intel-based servers to two
> Dell Poweredge devices.
> ----------
> End quote

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2006/07/04/216740/Linux+cuts+Kent+Police+system+costs+by+90.htm

Wow! That is fantastic news (I am slow with items today as I'm at a
conference). The figures remind me of a recent comparison between SLED 10
from Novell and Windows XP+Office from Microsoft. The ratio cost-wise was
1:10, implying 90% savings upon purchase alone. Let us leave migration costs
and long-term running costs aside for the sake of this argument. Given the
better performance of Linux, as well as stability and security gains, these
savings can be further propagated.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
  6:00pm  up 67 days 23:03,  11 users,  load average: 1.69, 0.62, 0.34