Re: [News] How Do Different Operating Systems Treat the CPU?

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Uptimes project
>
> http://uptimes-project.org/hosts/os_breakdown
>
> One among several interesting statistics:
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Operating System      Average CPU Load
> | BeOS                  15%
> | Darwin                65%
> | Embedded              99%
> | FreeBSD               2%
> | Linux                 2%
> | mIRC                  0%
> | OpenBSD               3%
> | OpenVMS               17%
> | OpenVMSClust          5%
> | OS/2                  14%
> | Unknown               0%
> | Windows               35%
> `----
>
> Linux is favoured by many criteria.

Embedded has to come out because that depends on what the job is as to how
busy it will be. You design embedded systems for a purpose so are not
likely to design in a cpu that can 'easily' do the job, if the 5 meg cpu
can do the job, you wouldn't go to the expense of the 10 meg cpu.

You would expect Windows to have higher average CPU, because of the way it
works with memory and system messages. It isn't a problem because that time
isn't lost when the CPU is needed by applications. UNIX/Linux does not need
that system time, plus with the better caching system will on average make
it less busy per task.

The one I like is 'Unknown', if I'm ever sat at an operating system and
don't know what it is I'll send them a CPU load time report.

I can't say that the Uptime/Downtime in the table doesn't mean much because
there is no indication of how busy the machines were in that time nor
anything to show why there was downtime. Bet your socks that in most cases
the downtime had nothing at all to do with the OS.