Re: Firefox Operating System - Based on Linux?

On 2006-07-06, B Gruff <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> On Thursday 06 July 2006 15:01 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> | My answer to that is, how much can you really trust a company that five
>> | years ago completely left you abandoned? If they do, in fact, succeed in
>> | taking back some of the market share that Firefox has gotten back from
>> | them, who's to say that they're not going to disappear again? My issue
>> | is not so much at a product level; it's at a company level. How do you
>> | trust a company that left everyone out in the cold for five years?
>> `----
>>
>> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/276185_software03.html
>
> Er... right.... it must go like this:-
>
> Of course we left our I.E. untouched for 5 years.  There was, in fact, no
> reason to change it, because there was no Customer Demand to do so.
> As we were about to re-employ the team, and make the innovations that are
> now underway (and will restore our rightful 99.9% market share), news of
> our designs (such as tabbed browsing) must have leaked out, and hence the
> upstarts such as Firefox were able to capitalize(sic!) via an inferior
> product on our ideas.  However, in the fulness of time, and true to our
> belief in innovation and quality, and when we have completed our extensive
> test program(sic!) to ensure that I.E. 7 continues our tradition of safe,
> secure browsing.....
>
> (How am I doing....?:-))

Fine. to some extent. But I see one possible problem area.

The main problem is they can't take credit for something someone else
was already doing before they started. Not in a way that recognizes
someone was already doing it, even if they *do* claim it was an idea of
their own that was implemented first by others.

Maybe a better way of saying that part would be something this:

  "We are gearing up our browser team again because we believe we can
  drive customer demand through innovation. Though our users haven't
  been clamoring for these new features, we believe many will find the
  inidispensible once they begin seeing what they can accomplish for
  them. Features such as tabbed browsing, inline searching, history
  deletion, (list of other feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeechures), we
  believe, will leave little question in the minds of our valued
  customers as to who is leading the pack."

See, none of these things even existed until Microsoft INNOVA~1 them.

--
Linux: because it's _my_ damn computer!