Re: 10 Reasons to Love KDE

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ hanumizzle@xxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 07 July 2006 16:56 \__

> As for Kate, it is indeed rather bloated (all the command-line stuff with
> translucency, apart from the kwrite pane), but I always have it open. Once
> open, separate files can be opened in separate 'tabs' simultaneously

Buffers, windows, frames...

> which
> makes this a matter of milliseconds. It's always open in Desktop 4, waiting
> to handle editing chores.

emacsclient

> By the way, Kate is able to (much like the rest of KDE) operate on files that
> lie on some remote S/FTP.

TRAMP. (Transparent Remote something or other) Look at the famous
slime.mov on common-lisp.net to see example use of TRAMP in Emacs,
which is standard. (Oh, and you might want to observe SLIME in action
as well. Compare to what a CADR machine looked like. :))

Emacs does everything, even if the Lisp that comes with it is a joke
compared to Common Lisp.

> It also incorporates plenty of features which need
> exploration in order to be found and mastered. I also like nedit (used it
> for 3 years), but never quite got the habit of working with emacs
> efficiently. High and steep learning curve.

"In the long run men hit only what they aim at. Therefore, though they
should fail immediately, they had better aim at something high."

  -- Henry David Thoreau

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this
decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because
they are hard..."

  -- John F. Kennedy

I wish this attitude was still reflected in Americans today.
Unfortunately, it isn't, at least not in general.

> Vim is good for quick, small and
> dirty changes, unless the command-line is all you have available.

Best stream editors ever:

perl -i -pnle '...' file
ruby -i -wpe '...' file

To this day, I never use macros in Emacs; I just use C-u M-| and pipe
the region through a filter with perl or ruby. (Trying to use the
latter more.)

> Microsoft
> WordPad (obligatory MS bashing) is good if you want your editor to jitter
> every time you hit "save".

At least it handles Unix newlines. :)