Re: What Hinders Linux Adoption

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Created As Unix, Perfected As Linux?
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | ...most users have missed out on any real multi-user, multi-tasking
> | computing experience.

Yes, people were kept in the dqrk on purpose.

I just spent 3 weeks in Bangalore India.

They couldn't even conceive a Lincoln Towne Car or a Crown Victoria.

They pay almost 4 hours pay for a litre (about a quart) of petrol
(gasoline).

On the other hand they have cars that get almost 80 miles per gallon.

This is pretty remarkable given the constant traffic jams.

> | Linux just doesn't fit their perceived model of a computer.

And if all you have ever driven is motorcycles, a Ford Taurus would not
fit your perceived model of a personal transportation.

Even today, most Windows users only use one application at a time.
Each application is run in full screen mode.  They have been
conditioned NOT to use multiple overlapping windows.

Linux users on the other hand run multiple desktops concurrently, and
run multiple overlapping windows in each desktop.

It's a bit like telling that Indian taxi driver that my Taurus goes 90
miles an hour and I don't have to shift gears all the time.  He thought
I was pulling his leg.

He coudn't conceive of such a vehicle.

I'd love to get an auto-rickshaw for short hops, but that market is
inconceivable to american car dealers.