Re: SLED 10

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 08 July 2006 08:56 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 07 July 2006 06:32 \__
>>
>>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> B Gruff <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> I've had the view for some time now that we're well past the tipping
>>> point.  A few years ago, this could probably have been prevented from
>>> happening, /but/, it would've required MS to give up their lock-in
>>> model, and instead, they've decided to squeeze as hard as they can on
>>> their remaining customers.  Clearly, the harder they squeeze, the more
>>> customers will pop through to the other side, but they'll still have
>>> many "loyal" customers left, it'll be an exponential decay for a long
>>> time.
>>>
>>> As you say, the nature of advocacy has shifted completely now, but this
>>> surely explains the reaction of our trolls to the good work of our two
>>> Roys.  Even the trolls must be aware that the game is up.
>>
>> Thanks for the compliment there, Mark. And, yes, the trolls are
>> demoralised when reading this group. Either they unsubscribe or they spend
>> their time
>> elsewhere. Being in this newsgroup no longer gives them  a fake sensation
>> of being winners, merely riding on the back of somebody's else's success
>> (or payroll).
>>
>> Speaking of which, I think Digg is slowly transformed into Slashdot 2.0. I
>> manage to sneak about 5 Linux stories into the front page, per day. This
>> must make it rather miserable site for Windows fanboys to hang out in.
>>

> Interesting!  I'll have to take a look at it.  Slash started out with a
> strong unix/linux following, afairc, but over time, MS managed to get
> a lot of windows trolls over there.  At least one went from here to
> slash.

Digg is still dominated by many Mac fans. It's SF Bay-based, so no surprise
there. However, the relationship between *nix and Apple is a healthy one,
for the most part.

Did you hear me gasp? That's just me noticing some more typos of mine.
"somebody's else's"...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I regularly SSH to God's brain and reboot"
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  9:35am  up 71 days 14:38,  12 users,  load average: 0.43, 0.48, 0.52