Re: Try doing this with Windows

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:1434277.Juc5Q8Yx49@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

>> After the kernel compile, the only things that do not work are
>> suspend/hibernate; ACPI does not reset the console properly, but this
>> appears to be a BIOS problem, so I suspect Windows wouldn't fare well
>
> You cannot /legally/ do this with Windows. The licence are sold per
> motherboard, so even if your previous computer died and you hauled the
> old hard-drive, you must purchase a new licence (GBP 65 for XP Home
> Edition, GBP 135 for Pro, at least in the UK). WGA can probably lock
> up your system because it probes the hardware to confirm it was not
> changed. WGA is Microsoft's last suicide attempt.

IMNAL, and I don't want to put too fine a point to it, but MS Licenses for
one COMPUTER and for purposes of the license simple define the term
COMPUTER as the hardware of a single computer system. So it seems that your
can replace/upgrade individual parts but not move to a new machine. Either
that or you might be prohibited from from upgrading anything once XP is
installed. Both seem possible interpretations of the EULA. I think a legal
view would hinge on the install part. So it might be easier to justify
swaping MBs that hard drives which might require a reinstall.

I have had to replace a MB and used all other other hardware. Even with a
new chipset from a different vender, w2k did manage to boot OK. I had to
install some other stuff to get everything working right but I survived. It
might have been luck though.

I don't disagree with your WGA comments or general opinion of Windows.

OB