Re: MS: OK. OK, we'll build an ODF killer. Er, we mean translator.

> I know exactly what you mean. See the following recent perspective from an
> Operatic figure.
>
> http://news.com.com/2010-1032_3-6085417.html
>
>         Microsoft's forgotten monopoly
>
> I too sometimes suffer from the same issue when I use KGhostView. Acrobat
> Reader 7 does not encounter issues that are attributed to those same
> deficiencies.

Thanks for the link.  An interesting article on Microsoft's Core Fonts,
which they froze:

   Microsoft's font monopoly is due to the "Core fonts for the Web"
   program it launched in 1996. About 10 font families--including
   familiar names like Arial, Georgia, Verdana and Times New Roman--were
   made available "for free to the Web community, on all platforms" as
   Microsoft told the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) at the time. The
   fonts have served us well. They've improved both aesthetics and
   interoperability on the Web, and they look good in a wide range of
   sizes. Unfortunately, Microsoft decided to close the project in 2002.
   The fonts are still available for anyone to use, but not to change.
   It is illegal to add support for more non-Western scripts.

And Erik wonders why we don't trust these clowns.

--
   Refactor Windows.