Re: [News] SLED 10 to Be Ready in July, Not August

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Monday 10 July 2006 12:24 \__

> On Monday 10 July 2006 11:43 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> This seems to be a question that begs for a FAQ. Here is the most recent
>> among the answers I used to address it:
>>
>> __/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Sunday 09 July 2006 13:12 \__
>
> Thanks for all that, mate.  Please forgive the snipping - got to keep up my
> Quality Poster stats - been falling since I made a couple of responses to
> Dumbo.....

When Culley descends from the Alps to deliver us statistics, I'm sure he'll
be forgiving. *smile* Speaking of replies to trolls, a fellow (new-ish) COLA
participant has just posted this:

http://www.linuxextremist.com/?p=34

                (Don't Feed the (Windows) Trolls)

> I had already read both yours and Rex's.  All good stuff:-)
>
> In summary, your advive for somebody like me then, would be that there is
> little or nothing in SLED that I can't get in SUSE, but it might need a bit
> more effort on my part - in your view, time well spent?:-)

With lists of the needed RPM's centralised in a single page, the whole
shebang (Flash, DivX, MP3, WMV, etc.) should take no more than a couple of
minutes to install. Bandwidth to obtain them is the only bottleneck.

> That said, what about a complete newbie/Windows Refugee?
> Assuming 50 bucks is neither here nor there?

I think the 50 bucks would be well spent. It's a one-time payment, which can
leave the door open to the free (not only Free) route. People who are
unfamiliar with Linux will be intimidated by the need to 'complete' the
integrity of the system. Heck, my parents would never even know how to read
PDF's in Windows...

> btw, I've not yet looked at the documentation in SLED.  Have you?  It seems
> tolerably extensive.

I haven't looked, I'm afraid. To be honest, I am very satisfied as an
OpenSUSE guy. I think I pay/contribute to Novell back in ways that are not
measurable in terms of currency.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate (Medical Biophysics)
  1:10pm  up 73 days 18:13,  12 users,  load average: 0.42, 0.49, 0.59