Re: Gentoo Live CD's Target Gaming, Education

  • Subject: Re: Gentoo Live CD's Target Gaming, Education
  • From: "George Ellison (undercover)" <notamisfit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 10 Jul 2006 05:56:38 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mark Kent wrote:
> begin  oe_protect.scr
> > Brand-new site: http://www.edu-nix.org/
> >
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> >| EDU-Nix aims to provide U.S. Public Schools with Open-Source alternatives
> >| to expensive proprietary software products. The project will consist
> >| initially of a redistributable CD that has both a live CD environment,
> >| as well as Windows versions of the office and productivity programs.
> > `----
> >
> > http://www.edsupport.cc/mguhlin/blog/archives/2006/07/entry_1764.htm
> >
> > I think it's GPL infringement, but nonetheless:
> >
> > http://www.gentoo.org/news/20020916-ut2k3.xml
> >
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> >| Epic Games' much-anticipated Unreal Tournament 2003 Demo is now available
> >| on a self-booting Gentoo Linux-based LiveCD, allowing you to play the
> >| Unreal Tournament 2003 Demo using any modern PC with an NVIDIA GeForce
> >| 2 or greater graphics card and a CD-ROM drive.
> > `----
>
> It might be interesting to try it, but as you say, it looks a lot like
> there could be GPL issues?

I remember a little while back that Kooraa (Gentoo-based XGL LiveCD)
came under fire from someone claiming to be a kernel developer that
shipping a pre-compiled GeForce driver module was a GPL violation. It
was enough to halt the distribution for a time, but it's done elsewhere
too (my Kubuntu system automatically installs nvidia-kernel-common,
although I've actually got to go find nvidia-glx to make any use of
it). As for the game,
that's just mere aggregation, and perfectly legal.