Re: [News] Another Hint That Vista Release May Be Further Delayed

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Monday 10 July 2006 18:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Sat, 08 Jul 2006 13:02:51 +0100
> <5646789.FTiY1mYcQn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | WinFS was dropped from Vista in what company executives described at the
>> | time as a trade-off to get the operating system completed in a timely
>> | manner. The release of Vista has since been delayed again and is now
>> | scheduled for November for large customers and January 2007 for the
>> | general public, though some observers say it may be out even later.
>> `----
>>                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>

>> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/microsoft/2003090022_winfs28.html
>>
>> Incomplete (feature-wise), half-baked, not secure, and released beyond the
>> originally-named date. It's a recipe for a blunder.
>
> If they're not careful.  Win95 was delayed, too, and was one of
> Microsoft's more notable successes.

Delays in this case are due to bugs, not a belated feature freeze. Published
today:

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1986615,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

> But we'll see.  Win95, after all, was before Microsoft had serious
> competition for the x86 desktop.

Yes. Important fact. A natural transition from 3.1 (the upgrade then was more
considerable and compelling). Then there were the toys and a very immature
kernel for GNU. Yes, Sun and others were there too but not very visible to
home users...

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |   McDonald's Certified Sandwich Engineer (MCSE)
  6:00pm  up 73 days 23:03,  12 users,  load average: 2.30, 2.09, 1.62