Re: [News] Microsoft Praises Openness, Commits to Fair Play?

On 2006-07-20, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> The hug of death?
>
> Microsoft executive lauds open source
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Microsoft is not viewed as an open source proponent, but a key
>| executive said Wednesday the company recognized its benefit and was
>| becoming more open itself.
> `----

Embrace. Coupled with an outright lie ("more open" for you Windummies).

> http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20060720/tc_infoworld/80271
>
> Also: Microsoft Agrees to Play Nice
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Microsoft will commit to following the principles of its 2002
>| antitrust settlement with the U.S. government beyond its end in late
>| 2007, and in some cases, the company will expand upon those requirements,
>| a Microsoft executive said Wednesday.
> `----
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20060719/tc_pcworld/126476

I don't care if they adhere to the principles unless they mean *really*
adhere. But why start now. They haven't bothered with them so far.
They're probably going to follow them pretty much the same way they've
done all along, which is not at all.

--
"Ironically, Microsoft's efforts to deny interoperability of Windows
with legitimate non-Microsoft applications have created an environment