Re: [News] Microsoft Puts a Face On, Pretends to Like Linux

__/ [ Au79 ] on Wednesday 19 July 2006 00:14 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> CNET: Microsoft gives Linux a virtual hug
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | After years of hoping to crush Linux, Microsoft is trying to show it can
>> | get along with its open-source rival.
>> `----
>>
>> Microsoft  H A T E S  Linux. Don't let them fool you guys!
>>
>> The point when Microsoft facilitates interoperability is the point when it
>> commits suicide. No-one will forget the FUD assaults (last one yesterday,
>> from the Didio/Yankee puppet) as well as the character assassination ("GPL
>> is cancer").
>>
>> This also reminds me of Port 25 (headed by Hilf). First they argue that
>> they love Linux, but later comes the endless FUD. Even the ODF plug was
>> away of driving away GPL plugs developed outside Microsoft.
>

> Microsoft's modus operandi has always been to embrace, extend, extinguish.
> Their warming up to Linux may be the initial strategy to 1) Tell users that
> "we used it and its no good" and 2) Steal as many ideas from the OSS camp
> to implement in their own product.

1 -- That's Bill Hilf and Port 25 (the Linux lab).

2 -- Same as (1) as they imitate from Linux, as well as Mac OS.

Look at Windows Vista (looks, applications and components) to see the great
amount of features that were copied from Mac OS, GNU/Linux, and various Open
Source projects.