Re: [News] Hewlett-Packard Supports Novell's Linux

__/ [ Jim ] on Wednesday 19 July 2006 03:04 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> HP Has Got Novell's Back
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | With the release of SUSE Linux Enterprise 10, Novell has a mighty big
>> | ally backing it up in the form of Hewlett-Packard. The IT giant,
>> | currently riding a wave of renewed momentum, has thrown its support
>> | behind SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop and Server, both released Monday.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | It's this support that HP is touting. It has 6,500 personnel dedicated
>> | to Linux support, who also use it as part of their daily jobs. "Every
>> | single employee here touches Linux every single day, many times," said
>> | Christine Martino, vice president of the Linux and open source group at
>> | HP, during a media event here at the HP campus.
>> `----
>>
>>         http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3620611
>
> oh, man, I wish them all the luck in the world. Their hardware build
> quality is WAY UP THERE since they acquired Compaq (or should that be
> "Compaq's build quality has improved since...? Either way, that's been good
> for both brands). With Linux in tow as a complementary product, it's gonna
> go far.

I had a Compaq for many years. Hard at the start, but more reliable in later
years. Nothing too explosive though, if you know what I mean (Dell). I think
you may find the following interesting.

HP To Certify Suse Linux For Notebooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Hewlett-Packard will ensure that the operating system works on several
| of its notebook models by year-end.
|
| [...]
|
| Lance Stevens, software product marketing manager for business PCs at
| HP, said he expects that HP would eventually preload SLED 10 on desktops
| on a custom-order basis.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=190301147&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All

I think you should consider selling SLED to your clients too. SUSE 10.2 is
free, on the other, and it will be merely identical (needs some 'hacking',
i.e. click to install codecs which you can do at the shop /a priori/).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "No, I didn't buy that from eBay"
         run-level 5  Jul 17 10:14                   last=S