Re: [News] Choose Windows, Double the Cost of Your PC

On 2006-07-18, Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:30:23 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Microsoft Landed On Us
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Windows XP Professional OEM - £98.08
>>| Microsoft Office (Small Business Edition) OEM - £157.74
>>| Paint Shop Pro - £67.85
>>|
>>| This yields a grand total of £323.67. In one fell swoop, I doubled the
>>| cost of the PC... I simply couldn't believe it at first; it seems
>>| illogical that to do absolutely everything I can do for free with Linux,
>>| in order to do the same with Microsoft, I?d have to spend twice as
>>| much.
>> `----
>>
>>                                 http://www.linuxextremist.com/?p=47
>
> You can't do everything you could do in Linux.  For example, Paint Shop Pro
> can use any photoshop plug-in available, can the Gimp?  On Windows, you
> can, with pspi, but not Linux.

I didn't see any mention by him about PSP. Can you point to the exact
place he counted it or figured it into the equation?

Nonetheless:

http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/pspi.html

And for the price he quoted, he /still/ couldn't do half of what he
could do with a default desktop linux install. Almost any default
desktop linux install.

Does he have access to multiples of games, on the Winders setup he
wrote about, at that price?

Does he have access server software already installed, on the Winders
setup he wrote about, at that price?

/Could/ he add outside repositories or other locations to his system
upgrade sources that would allow him to go completely outside the
channel of his distro vendor for new or competing products? Could he
use such a package manager to update/upgrade products, download and
install new things, uninstall old things, downgrade things to previous
versions and/or filter to only receive updates of certain types
(security, stability, new versions, etc)?

That's just for starters, too.

> Ok, so maybe such a machine could do everything YOU want to do in Linux,
> but that's not the same thing.

Thank God it's *not* the same!

> Consider that it costs more to fuel a car

Goody! Another retardo car analogy.

--
Secup: Innovative Microsoft peer-to-peer software.