Re: [News] Windows Vista Hits and Misses

After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 03:56:51 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ,----[ The misses: ]
>>|
>>| * Installation
>>|
>>| * Performance
>>|
>>| * Search, Security Dialogs
>>|
>>| * Memory Requirements
>>|
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.techweb.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=160400003&cid=RSSfeed_TechWeb
>
> Yes, 6 hits, 4 misses - all of which are being addressed.  Interesting.

They'd better address them:

   "My test drive of the new Beta 2 release of Windows Vista turned up
   two big surprises. First, it was fairly shocking to realize that this
   beta is indeed a beta. Although the consumer version of the operating
   system is due to ship in January 2007, there are still lots of
   glitches that need to be fixed."

And this will go over big in the board room:

   "My second surprise was the realization that Vista is first and
   foremost shaping up to be a consumer OS. It's got a glitzy look and
   feel that will go over better in Best Buy than in the boardroom."

And this:

   For businesses, the big question will be whether the improved
   security provided by Vista will be worth the expense of the beefier
   PC hardware required to run it properly. I'm betting that many
   workplaces will probably migrate from Windows XP to Vista later
   rather than sooner. In contrast, connected consumers might queue up
   to purchase the new OS in droves reminiscent of the "midnight
   madness" retail frenzy with which Microsoft launched its Xbox 360
   last year."

I doubt that last sentence.  They'll have to queue up for new hardware,
first.

--
   "Spock, you're nothing but a damn computer!"
   "Why, thank you, Doctor!"