Re: [News] C|Net Introduces the LAMP Stack

__/ [ Tim Smith ] on Tuesday 18 July 2006 00:42 \__

> In article <2178943.2hRnSOynBv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> I like the lamp stack a lot, /but/, it doesn't provide the clustering,
>>> high-availability, or other features which I'd hope to get from a
>>> suitable middleware layer.
>>
>> Well, you can always start a business small with Fedora+LAMP (free of
>> charage), then grow and mature towards Red Hat+JBoss.
>
> Or you can start with JBoss, and then not have to rewrite everything when
> the business grows.

Big  initial  investment (e.g. R&D) is something  that  only
large companies are able to afford. The return on investment
(ROI) can be tolerated even if the product, or Web sites, or
businesses  needs a few iterations to show some fruits. XBox
360 comes to mind. 4 billion in losses so far?

The  migration  costs  might  be worth it  in  the  case  of
JBoss/RHat.  You just need to find the balance, taking  into
consideration   chance   of  success,  costs  of   software,
migration/s, etc.

All in all, there is no single correct route.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Black holes are where God is divided by zero"
Tasks: 135 total,   1 running, 133 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie