Re: Microsoft Concedes Controversial Feature

hanumizzle@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> If companies don't want their employees to encrypt folders, why don't
>> they just disable the encryption feature on the employee desktops?  Or
>> declare that any encrypted folders will be declared ipso facto
>> unacceptable?
>
> Because then someone will figure out tar, gzip/bzip/lzma, and GPG.
>
> Are there not possibilities for steganography as well? I doubt most
> PHBs would look for <!-- my hidden stuff --> in HTML.

So how about just making policy*, then *enforcing* that policy by making an
example of the first person to violate it? Nobody's going to risk their job
for the sake of a couple porn videos, surely?
Every time I find myself onboard with a new client with public-accessible
computers or a business with staff-accessible PCs, the first thing I ask is
"Do you have a written ICT usage policy?" If the answer's no, then in goes
my stock policy. Not very often it gets changed, and it's reduced the
number of support calls because "someone's done something they shouldn't
have to the system/network/router/whatever". Proof that policy works. For
the most part.

IMHO, anyone who goes into a job thinking that the company internet access
is there for them to download as many mp3s or movies or whatever and burn
them onto company stock discs deserves every bad thing they get. They're
there to work, the PC is a tool to be used, not their own private
playground. Save that shit for your home connection.

*The best person to ask about making ICT policy is a consultant from outside
the company. Better someone who knows the industry that company is involved
in, and the tools required PC-wise, to get the job done. In that respect as
well, the company can educate the consultant on what tools it already uses,
rather than the consultant having to make guesses.

--
When all else fails...
Use a hammer.

http://www.dotware.co.uk