Re: Another Advantage of Open Source: Localisation

__/ [ hanumizzle@xxxxxxxxx ] on Saturday 15 July 2006 08:47 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The localisation of OpenOffice.org into the Georgian language is to
>> | be completed this summer. It marks part of an important process taking
>> | place in Georgia, a former Soviet republic. A year ago the ministry of
>> | education decided to rely on open source software in its
>> | multimillion-dollar school computerisation project Deer Leap because
>> | delivering software in Georgian was only possible if open source was
>> | chosen; Microsoft's local partner had just announced another delay
>> | in releasing Georgian Windows.
>> `----
>>
>> http://business.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/06/29/1440236
>>
>> This reminds me of:
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | 'We plan to bring computing power to non-English speaking people by
>> | translating the desktop menus, help messages, files, FAQs, error
>> | messages etc., of GNU Linux System in various Indian languages,'
>> | C-DAC officials said.
>> `----

http://www.dailyindia.com/show/38637.php/India_seeks_translators_for_smoother_computing

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/hanumizzle/vaction-cdialog-russian.png

I am not sure what this intends to prove as this is nothing exceptional.
Considering language support that we see in SUSE Linux and Ubuntu (among
others), the locale issue is pretty much solved. Moreover, one thing which
Windows and OS X are unable to do is have different locales running
simultaneously, in the same session. I can't remember where I saw the
screenshot that illustrates this.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | One, Two, Free Open Source Software (FOSS)
Tasks: 170 total,   2 running, 150 sleeping,   0 stopped,  18 zombie