Re: [News] Hewlett-Packard et al. in Push for Multi-User Linux

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Friday 14 July 2006 16:26 \__

> John Bailo wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Two Linux PCs Power 12-Station Internet Café
>>>
>>> HP, Blueloop And Omni Demonstrate How Upto 10 Users Can Share A Single
>>> Linux Desktop Computer
>>>
>>>                 http://in.sys-con.com/read/247419.htm
>>

>> "The physical connection of the monitors and USB devices is made
>> possible by additional dual-head video cards and powered USB hubs."
>>
>> So these are just standard monitors, not "smart clients".
>>
>> Interesting.
>>
>> So, you're really networking using USB and video cable.
>>
>> Can that be done over the Internet -- that is, is there some device I
>> could plug my mouse, keyboard and monitor into, that can send these
>> signals back and forth across a network.
>
> Oh...or even better.
>
> Can it be done with /WiFI/ ?

If I understand you correctly, you want to wirelessly connect something as
bandwidth-intensive as a USB conduit or display input? That's just crazy,
unless you pace it all down and render objects on the screen in a
thin-client fashion, e.g. by taking the inter-frame diffs before
re-rendering.

I thought this was worth posting because there is no reason, in principle,
why Internet Cafés owners should show reluctance to adopting such setups.
Firefox; mouse; keyboard. What else do you need? It's just an appliance.
Secure, stable, less expensive and requires less from the hardware. With a
giant like HP behind it, it deems credible too.