Re: Red Hat Grows 45% Over the Course of One Year

__/ [ Peter Köhlmann ] on Thursday 13 July 2006 23:50 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Thursday 13 July 2006 16:01 \__

>>> My how our baby has grown!!
>>> Bob Young must be a proud poppa.

>>> Let's play with some numbers shall we?
>>

>> Earlier on I came across the following report, which was updated some time
>> today (it emerged as new in the RSS feed):
>>
>> http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=rhat
>>

>>> Average support fee $70
>>> Supported copies                      1 million?
>>> Unsupported (legacy)               10 million?
>>> Fedora (10:1)                          10 million?
>>> SUSE                                    20 million?
>>> Linspire                                  10 million?
>>> Mandriva                                10 million?
>>> Ubuntu                                           20 million?
>>> Knoppix                                         20 million?
>>>
>>> About 100 million maybe?
>>>
>>> And only 100 distributions left to account for?
>>>
>>> OK, so there is probably some double counting.  Some of these are just
>>> live CDs used for "rescue" operations, and some are "dual boot" where
>>> linux is used primarily for special projects and in "free time".
>>>
>>> I wonder if VMWare Player and Virtual PC are changing the rules a
>>> little?
>>

>> Speaking of virtualisation tools, Microsoft has made theirs a free (as in
>> beer) download. I guess they would better join the outlandish party than
>> be left aside in an empty house.
>>

> Well, they made a version "free" which is severely outdated.
> That version is nearly 2 years old. Compared to Vmware it looks like XP
> compared to a modern linux version: simply idiotic and totally limited
>
> Anybody using that "MS-offering" gets for sure what he deserves
>
> < snip >

Well, that product is an outcome of the recent acquisition of a small and
obscure company (you wouldn't expect Google or Microsoft to implement their
own 'novelties', would you?). This makes you wonder why they did not attempt
to buy (READ: kill) VMWare in the same way that they recently killed a Mac
program for professional photography ...possibly yet to embed WMP
(proprietary Windows-specific alternative to JPEG) in it, as default format.
Or even think Oracle's attempt to buy Red Hat and MySQL... Peoplesoft maybe?