Re: [News] Microsoft Bribes South Africans to Fight Linux

  • Subject: Re: [News] Microsoft Bribes South Africans to Fight Linux
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:12:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
Jim <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Mark Kent wrote:
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Microsoft offers South Africa cheap internet connections
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>>                 http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32967
>>

>> Ahh, Bill Gates is out there, taking cash from the world's poorest
>> people.  What a nice man.
>>

> I think this is Bill's attempt to steer the kids away from those free Linux
> laptops.
> What a larf.

Indeed, I think you're right.  Particularly when you consider that the
BayGen radio was first made for South Africa, I imagine that a wind-up
laptop would be very familiar territory for them.

I'd like to see far more devices will self-powering capability, anything
to get us off the direct oil dependence;  at the very least, freeing the
oil for making plastics is probably a better use of it than make
electricity, which we can do so many other ways...

One of the disadvantages of having children is that they eventually get old
enough to give you presents they make at school.
		-- Robert Byrne